Miffed Model

With the unemployment rate at 8% or whatever it is right now, it’s probably unseemly for me, a working person, to bitch about the vagaries, annoyances, inconsistencies, and aggravations of art modeling bookings and the business aspect of this profession. So I won’t. Because if I start I won’t be able to stop, and this blog post will quickly take on the form of a rant 😡 Let me just say that this business runs fairly smoothly about 75% of the time. But the other 25% can drive you absolutely mad, especially in the summer when work is scarce, models are panicky, and model coordinators are, for some reason, more befuddled and forgetful than usual. It all makes for a good recipe for stress.

But we’ll get into a discussion of working as a freelancer (aka “independent contractor” ) and the unpredictability that comes with it, another time. Right now I really need to relax and de-stress. The glass of red wine on the table next to me will surely contribute to the de-stressing goal :takes long, luxurious sip of pinot noir: Aaaahh 🙂

Carl is one of the most delightful people I’ve ever met and has been drawing and painting me for a couple of years now in private art groups. He did this drawing of me today and I thought I’d post it here. Perhaps unbeknownst to Carl, he seems to have captured a bit of my tense mood and lingering work frustrations. The standing pose was my choice. Body language speaks volumes, right?

7 thoughts on “Miffed Model

  1. Andrew says:

    There is certainly an intensity to the expression although I’m not sure that it comes across as tension necessarily. I think it’s open to interpretation.

    My favorite part of this drawing is the hair. The flow and texture have been captured beautifully.

    I like how it gets sketchy towards the bottom. It’s a reminder that this is a hand-crafted work, and makes the more refined parts all the more impressive.

    • artmodel says:


      Carl is great with hair! An especially useful skill for an artist when tackling my thick, unruly mop 🙂

      And I agree with you about the unfinished sketchiness toward the bottom. I like that effect a lot.

      Thanks for your wonderful comments.


  2. Jennifer says:

    I recall this isn’t the first time you’ve been frustrated by booking procedures, though, as you say, it comes with the freelance territory (speaking as one also, though of a different ilk!). Hope it will be sorted out soon. Lovely drawing, though indeed there is a hint of an expression that you are not to be messed with at the moment …

    • artmodel says:


      You’re right. This definitely isn’t the first time! You would think that after all these years a person would get used to it. But I haven’t. Luckily it’s not a constant.

      Glad you like the drawing, and your interpretation of my expression is great! I do look like some tough bitch, but in reality I’m just a sweetheart 🙂

      Thanks Jennifer.


  3. Having worked both freelance (in another field) and, at other times for wages, over the years, I commiserate. On the other hand; freelance is satisfying, when you do work it’s ’cause you’re good and the client wants _you_!

    On another other hand, I quite agree with Jennifer; “…expression that you are not to be messed with at the moment “. If I were sketching there/then I’d just say; “Yes mam, no mam, whatever you want, mam!” -grin-

    • artmodel says:


      As always, you make me laugh! Now take out my garbage and change the oil in my car. Got it, pal?? 😆

      Ah, who am I kidding. I couldn’t boss people around if my life depended on it, the drawing notwithstanding.

      I agree with you completely about the rewards of freelance work. Despite the negatives, I’d still choose it over the alternatives. I’ve done both, and freelancing suits me better overall. If one can weather the temporary rough patches, it can be a very gratifying livelihood.

      Thanks for your comments Jim!


  4. violinhunter says:

    What a beautiful model!!! The drawing is nice too. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.