Drawing With Fred

While most people spent their 4th of July having barbecues and watching fireworks, I spent mine at Fred Hatt’s studio posing for my very dear friend. And what fun it was! Felt good to actually be modeling during this abysmally slow summer, and it was wonderful to collaborate with an artist I’ve known throughout my career. When Fred and I get together, about 75% of the time is spent chatting and talking as the close friends we are. But we did manage to get some work done ๐Ÿ™‚ Here’s what we created in the other 25%:

fredhatt-2009-07-04-claudia-a-state

When the model’s away, the artist will play! Once the figure is established, Fred will continue to work on a drawing on his own time, adding in background, color, etc. Fred emailed two versions of this piece, the “before” and “after”. Here’s the same drawing that he progressed further the next day:

fredhatt-2009-07-04-claudia-b-state

10 thoughts on “Drawing With Fred

  1. ColdSilverMoon says:

    Wonderful work by Fred, as always. Thanks for sharing, Claudia, and thank you Fred for more great work…

  2. Brooke says:

    Oh, this is absolutely gorgeous Claudia! Fred and you seem like a wonderful combination!

    • artmodel says:

      Brooke, you’re so sweet, thanks! Yes, Fred and I work marvelously as artist/model collaborators. I’m glad you were able to observe that in this drawing.

      Claudia

  3. D says:

    Beautiful drawing of a beautiful pose. ๐Ÿ™‚

  4. fredh1 says:

    A few notes about this:

    1. The size of the drawing is 48″ x 60″, or 122 x 152 cm. I work on the floor, directly from life, with no preliminary sketches. It’s basically a quick sketch on a large scale.

    2. The initial sketch had some major proportion distortions that I then worked on correcting. On the top version you can see the remnants of a too-long arm and a too-broad chest.

    3. Claudia has a great intuitive sense of poses. She seems to be conscious of how the light in the studio, the viewing angle, and the style and skills of the particular artist will interact with what she does. Claudia is absolutely the best.

    • artmodel says:

      Fred,

      You noticed those proportions, especially the arm, within seconds. I think you have the fastest eye on the planet! The adjustments came out well. The arm looks great, and it’s key to bringing the whole pose together.

      As to note #3, thank you ๐Ÿ™‚ An intuitive model with an equally intuitive ARTIST is a powerful pairing.

      Claudia

  5. swatch says:

    48 by 60 is big – I love the energy in the colour of Fred’s work. Thanks Claudia for sharing the sketch and the story.

    • artmodel says:

      You are very welcome, Swatch. I wish you could see Fred’s work in person. Yes it’s big, and the energy – Fred’s trademark – when viewed in real life, is palpable in a way that can’t be achieved via computer screen.

      Claudia

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s